Tourism exec: Nothing to worry about … so far

79
(PNC file photo)

Guam’s tourism industry has nothing to worry about with regard to the dengue outbreak … so far.

Bart Jackson, a hotel operator and industry stakeholder, told Phill Leon Guerrero on NewsTalk K57 that the current dengue situation is not the same as the swine flu, H1N1, and SARS when Guam tourism was severely affected.

Jackson said tourists are more familiar with dengue and not as scared of it as the newer more exotic diseases.

Jackson also said is satisfied by the massive mitigation steps being undertaken to combat the dengue situation.

During an earlier press conference, Gov. Lou Leon Guerrero also said the island’s tourism industry has not yet been affected.

At present, no travel advisory has been issued by Japan and South Korea, Guam’s two main tourism markets, although advisories have already been issued by the CNMI and the CDC.

The governor pointed out that there are also dengue cases in Saipan, Yap, Palau, and the Philippines but Japanese and South Korean tourists still frequently visit those places.

The Guam Visitors Bureau (GVB) is holding an industry briefing on the dengue situation on Friday, Sept. 27, from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Micronesia Ballroom at the Hilton Guam Resort & Spa in Tumon.

##