Guam -With trial less than two weeks away, former lieutenant governor Ray Tenorio, who is charged in the infamous gun-grabbing incident last year, made his first appearance in court on Wednesday.
Tenorio’s attorney, Tom Fisher, said Judge Benjamin Sison wanted to know if both sides were ready for trial.
Fisher said his client is ready to face trial. The list of defense witnesses includes former communications director Troy Torres, Johnnie Rosario and local media, Fisher said.
Fisher, however, said the defense is still awaiting review of his client’s writ of mandamus.
The writ was prompted by Guam Police Department’s acting Chief Steve Ignacio’s denial of Tenorio’s Freedom of Information Act request related to the police procedures for holstering and securing their duty weapons.
Fisher said he is still dumbfounded by GPD’s refusal to act on the FOIA request. GPD has not even provided any updated response, Fisher added.
Fisher still hopes to receive the information requested prior to the trial.
Tenorio, who was caught on camera grabbing a police officer’s duty weapon during a barbecue in July last year, claimed was not properly holstered.
A former police officer, Tenorio ran an unsuccessful campaign for governor under the Republican Party last year.
The former lieutenant governor was charged with official misconduct, obstructing governmental functions as misdemeanors.
During the fallout from the incident, Tenorio claimed his intent was to teach the officer a lesson on gun safety in the interest of public safety.
Jury selection is set for March 13. The trial will be heard by Judge Sison in the courtroom of Superior Court Judge Alberto Lamorena.