By William Mansell, Emily Shapiro, and Meredith Deliso | ABC News
President Donald Trump arrived at Walter Reed Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland, Friday evening after experiencing a low-grade fever, chills, nasal congestion and cough, multiple sources with direct knowledge of the matter tell ABC News.
He and first lady Melania Trump have been in isolation after announcing overnight that they tested positive for COVID-19.
While it is not clear how Trump, 74, contracted COVID-19, the news came hours after it was revealed that one of his closest advisers, Hope Hicks, had also tested positive. Hicks traveled with Trump to Ohio for the debate on Tuesday and to Minnesota for a rally on Wednesday.
“We will begin our quarantine and recovery process immediately,” Trump tweeted overnight.
Trump’s campaign manager, Bill Stepien, tested positive for coronavirus Friday, sources familiar with the situation tell ABC News. Stepien had been at the presidential debate on Tuesday in Cleveland.
“I feel fine and will be back in the office as soon as I am given the green light,” Stepien wrote in an email to staff.
In the meantime, deputy campaign manager Justin Clark will take over campaign operations. Stepien didn’t immediately respond to ABC News’ request for comment on the news.
Before his diagnosis late Friday, Stepien had said in a statement that campaign events were being postponed or moved to virtual events. In an email to campaign staff, he said that anyone who had exposure to someone who tested positive should immediately self-quarantine.
“While we do not believe anyone else without symptoms needs to self-quarantine at this time, it is on all of us to continue to exercise the smart judgment and practices the campaign has long encouraged: wear a mask, wash your hands, socially distance, check in via the live safe app on a daily basis and work from home if you’re not feeling well,” Stepien said in the email.
President Donald Trump tweeted late Friday night, providing an update on his condition and thanking people for their support.
“Going welI, I think! Thank you to all. LOVE!!!” Trump tweeted.
The president’s doctor, Sean Conley, also provided an update, saying the president is doing “very well” but in consultation with specialists from Walter Reed and Johns Hopkins University he recommended moving Trump to Walter Reed for further monitoring.
He said the president is not on oxygen, but that he has started Remdesivir therapy after consultation with specialists.
“He has completed his first dose and is resting comfortably,” Conley said in a memorandum issued Friday night.
Former White House adviser Kellyanne Conway announced that she has tested positive for COVID-19.
“My symptoms are mild (light cough) and I’m feeling fine,” she said in a post on Twitter. “I have begun a quarantine process in consultation with physicians.”
This makes Conway the seventh person who attended the SCOTUS nomination at Rose Garden on Saturday to test positive for COVID-19. In addition to President Trump and Melania Trump, Sens. Mike Lee and Thom Tillis, Notre Dame President Rev. John Jenkins and an unnamed journalist have also tested positive.
Conway’s announcement came after her daughter, Claudia Conway, shared news of her mother’s diagnosis on TikTok.
Conway resigned as senior White House adviser at the end of August to focus on her family.
Earlier on Friday, the White House revealed that President Trump was treated with a single 8-gram dose of Regeneron’s experimental antibody cocktail, called REGN-COV2.
The treatment is not yet authorized by the Food and Drug Administration. Regeneron confirmed in a statement that the president received the biotechnology company’s cocktail under “compassionate use.”
Compassionate use, which grants access to an experimental treatment outside of a clinical trial, is decided on a case-by-case basis. A Regeneron spokesperson told ABC News that “only a small handful of requests for REGN-COV2 have been approved on the basis of exceptional circumstances.”