The University of Guam’s Army ROTC program honored several of its cadets and recent graduates with awards at its virtual commissioning ceremony on May 22. The ceremony also awarded ROTC cadets at the Northern Marianas College in Saipan who will complete their officer training through UOG.
“The cadets worked really hard this year, and they absolutely deserve the recognition they are getting,” said Master Sgt. Rocky Duran, senior military science instructor at the University of Guam. “The awards will look great on their future resumes, but more importantly, they signify everything that the cadets did to make themselves better leaders this year.”
Brendan Santos, who will graduate from the University of Guam this month and was commissioned as a second lieutenant in the Army on May 23, received several major awards, including the Top Cadet of the Program Award, the Superior Cadet Decoration Award, and the George C. Marshall Leadership Award. He also served as the cadet battalion commander last fall.
“It is an honor to receive this award among all the intelligent and hard-working cadets in the Triton Warrior Battalion,” Santos said.
“To my peers, cadre, family, and fellow cadets, I thank you for your support and assistance throughout my college career. I know that the skills I have learned from you all will be useful during my time in the Army, and my future troops will benefit from the values that I have developed from my time in the Triton Warrior Battalion.”
University of Guam:
- Top Cadet of the Program: Brendan Santos
- Top Freshman Cadet: Amber Pangelinan
- Top Sophomore Cadet: Amarah San Nicolas
- Top Junior Cadet: John Bautista
- Top Senior Cadet: Kortney Camacho, Lucand Camacho
- Superior Cadet Decoration Award: Enriquo Nedlic, Louis Randall, John Martinez, Brendan Santos
- USAA “Spirit” Award: Vicente Bamba
- Military Order of the World Wars Medal of Merit: Brian Borja, Amarah San Nicolas, Brian Legaspi
- Military Order of Foreign Wars Medal: John Perez, Louis Randall
- Military History Best Student Award: Lorenz Junio
- Physical Fitness Performance Award: Brendan Santos, Vicente Bamba, Lucand Camacho, Jeanie Nguyen, John Perez, Justin Cayading, Brian Legaspi, Larry Llegado, John Martinez, Brandon Pablo, Adam Pangelinan, Brandon Salas
- Sergeant York Award: Lucand Camacho
- Cadet Achievement Award: Jgeth Bautista, Louis Randall, Lorenz Junio, Justin Cayading, Alex Aguero, Vicente Bamba
- Cadet Commendation Award: Christian Carino, Amos Dumapat, Joseph Aquino, Jude Tenorio, John Bautista, Jordana Finona, Larry Llegado, Brandon Pablo
- “And Then Some” Award: Amber Pangelinan, Brian Legaspi, Shawn Balinas
- George C. Marshall Leadership Award: Brendan Santos
Northern Marianas College:
- Top Cadet of the Program: Gavin Pangelinan
- Top Freshman Cadet: Kody Babauta
- Top Sophomore Cadet: Bert Magallano
- USAA “Spirit” Award: Sean Japor
- Cadet Achievement Award: Bert Magallano
- “And Then Some” Award: Gavin Pangelinan
The UOG Army ROTC program was established in October 1979 and is celebrating 40 years of producing dynamic leaders for Guam, the Pacific, and the United States.