Governor Lou Leon Guerrero announced during a news conference Monday afternoon that the next vaccine eligibility cut-off can be lowered to as low as 16 years of age and older.
It was just last week that vaccine eligibility was lowered to 40 years old.
“So our next eligible that we will be inviting is 16 and above. That’s basically testing everybody that are eligible for that. The priority committee will be meeting and they will be discussing that,” Leon Guerrero said.
Art San Agustin, director of the Department of Public Health and Social Services, said he expects the vaccination prioritization committee will support this.
“We will have it effective as soon as we’re able to announce,” San Agustin said.
The governor and the public health officials assured that Guam will have a steady supply of vaccines to handle the expected surge in demand when the vaccine eligibility is expanded.
Adelup currently has a “Path to Half” initiative which calls for the reopening of Guam to travelers again if half of the island’s population, about 62,500, gets vaccinated.
It is also aiming at vaccinating about 80 percent of Guam’s population by Liberation Day this July in order to get “herd immunity’ for the island.