Guam – A 22 year old man is dead after his car plowed into a concrete power pole in Yigo Friday morning.
GPD identified the man Monday as Nobor Wachi Tell.
Guam Police Spokesman Officer A.J. Balajadia reports that Tell was driving a Toyota Corolla north on Route 1 at Shen’s Furniture when he struck the rear of a Toyota Paseo and then veered off the roadway striking the power pole.
The accident was called in at 5:25am.
Both north bound lanes of Route 1 were closed for a few hours while the accident was under investigation.
The victim has not yet been identified. The driver of the Paseo was uninjured.
The man’s death marks the 9th traffic related fatality of the year on Guam.
2013 Traffic Related Fatalities:
1. January 1: 3:41am, Tuesday, Auto Pole crash, Rt. 9 Chalan Ramierez, Yigo. First traffic fatality on New Year’s day. 31-year-old Fred Maioro lost
control of his car along Route 9 at Chalan Ramirez St. in Yigo, and ran off the road, and slammed into a concrete pole.
2. January 16: 11:30pm. 45 year old Edward Joseph Kestler, was struck by an SUV in Tamuning Marine Corps Drive, near Alupang Towers in
Tamuning. He was pronounced dead at 12:10am at GMH. by a car late Wednesday night in Tamuning. Police say the victim was apparently walking in the road when he was struck by a black Hyundai Tucson being driven by a man heading south on Route 1. The driver of the Hyundai was not arrested.
[February 12: 10:20 pm, 51 Year Old Hitoshi Yakota struck by a grey 2007 Toyota Yaris while walking with his wife [also injured] on the side walk along San Vitores Road in Tumon. Yakota died from his injuries on Thursday February 14 at GMH. 21 year old Tamuning resident Chad De Soto charged with murder in Yakota’s death. Guam Police Spokesman A.J. Balajadia says this is NOT being classifed as a traffic related fatality.]
3. February 17: 1:42 am. 27 year old Andre Dela Cruz died after losing control of his Harley Davidson Motorcycle motorcycle and crashed on Alageta Road near the Route 16 overpass. DOA at the scene.
4. February 21: 10:48am. Troy Morrison riding a 2004 Suzuki 1000 south on Route 4 near the Agat Transfer Station when he lost control and ran off the roadway, crashing into a concrete sewer ditch. Pronounced dead at Naval Hospital. GFD Lt. Ed Artero said CPR was performed on the injured man as he was rushed to Naval Hospital. Morrison was not wearing a helmet.
5. March 9: 1 am Yseng Song at Natibu Road in Dededo. Hit-and-run auto pedestrian. 30 year old male pedestrian struck and killed. Suspect vehicle described only as a sedan that fled the scene with possible windshield damage.
6. April 3: 1 year old boy dies after vehicle backs over him in Dededo driveway. A 38 year old man was operating a 2009 Toyota Rav4 and backed over the boy. No identities and no names have been released yet.
7. April 12: 2:20am, Rt.1 East Agana, by the former Sears. Auto ran off Roadway. Passenger m/Phon/20’s
8. July 3: 9:24pm, Anigua, 23 year old woman struck by a car on Route 1 at the 76 gas station.Victim identified as Reren Rimuo.
9. July 26: 5:45am, Route 1 Yigo. 22 year old man dies after his car plows into a concrete power pole. Nobor Wachi Tell was driving a Toyota Corolla north on Route 1 at Shen’s Furniture when he struck the rear of a Toyota Paseo and then veered off the roadway striking the power pole.
READ the release from Officer Balajadia below:
Friday, July 26, 2013, 5:25am, Guam Police received a call of a Auto/Auto Crash on Rt.1 by Shen’s Furniture, Yiigo.
The male operator of a Toyota Carolla heading northbound on Marine Corps Drive, Shen’s Furniture, Yigo, struck the back rear side of a Toyota Paseo being operated by a male from Dededo. The Corolla then ran off the roadway and struck a concrete pole.
The operator of the Coralla, Male/22, was pronounced dead at the scene. The operator of the Paseo was uninjured.
Guam Highway Patrol has been activated. Both Northbound lanes are closed during this investigation. Motorist should find an alternate route for the next couple of hours.