Guam – A FedEx driver died after his van struck a concrete power pole along Route 1 in Upper Tumon Monday afternoon.
At the scene of the accident, acting Guam Police Spokesman Alan Guzman confirmed the drivers death which is the 14th traffic fatality of the year on Guam.
The van was headed southbound on Route 1 when it veered off the road and ran into the power pole near the Nissan Auto City in Upper Tumon. Acting Guam Fire Spokesman Lt. Phil Camacho says the initial 911 call came in at 12:12pm.
Lt. Camacho said the driver was the only occupant of the van. He was rushed to GMH and CPR was performed en-route.
The cause of the crash remains under investigation.
2013 Traffic Related Fatalities:
1. January 1: 3:41am, Tuesday, Auto Pole crash, Rt. 9 Chalan Ramierez, Yigo. First traffic fatality on New Year’s day. 31-year-old Fred Maioro lost
control of his car along Route 9 at Chalan Ramirez St. in Yigo, and ran off the road, and slammed into a concrete pole.
2. January 16: 11:30pm. 45 year old Edward Joseph Kestler, was struck by an SUV in Tamuning Marine Corps Drive, near Alupang Towers in
Tamuning. He was pronounced dead at 12:10am at GMH. by a car late Wednesday night in Tamuning. Police say the victim was apparently walking in the road when he was struck by a black Hyundai Tucson being driven by a man heading south on Route 1. The driver of the Hyundai was not arrested.
[February 12: 10:20 pm, 51 Year Old Hitoshi Yakota struck by a grey 2007 Toyota Yaris while walking with his wife [also injured] on the side walk along San Vitores Road in Tumon. Yakota died from his injuries on Thursday February 14 at GMH. 21 year old Tamuning resident Chad De Soto charged with murder in Yakota’s death. Guam Police Spokesman A.J. Balajadia says this is NOT being classifed as a traffic related fatality.]
3. February 17: 1:42 am. 27 year old Andre Dela Cruz died after losing control of his Harley Davidson Motorcycle motorcycle and crashed on Alageta Road near the Route 16 overpass. DOA at the scene.
4. February 21: 10:48am. Troy Morrison riding a 2004 Suzuki 1000 south on Route 4 near the Agat Transfer Station when he lost control and ran off the roadway, crashing into a concrete sewer ditch. Pronounced dead at Naval Hospital. GFD Lt. Ed Artero said CPR was performed on the injured man as he was rushed to Naval Hospital. Morrison was not wearing a helmet.
5. March 9: 1 am Yseng Song at Natibu Road in Dededo. Hit-and-run auto pedestrian. 30 year old male pedestrian struck and killed. Suspect vehicle described only as a sedan that fled the scene with possible windshield damage.
6. April 3: 1 year old boy dies after vehicle backs over him in Dededo driveway. A 38 year old man was operating a 2009 Toyota Rav4 and backed over the boy. No identities and no names have been released yet.
7. April 12: 2:20am, Rt.1 East Agana, by the former Sears. Auto ran off Roadway. Passenger m/Phon/20’s
8. July 3: 9:24pm, Anigua, 23 year old woman struck by a car on Route 1 at the 76 gas station.Victim identified as Reren Rimuo.
9. July 26: 5:45am 1 Yigo. 22 year old man dies after his car plows into a concrete power pole. Nobor Wachi Tell was driving a Toyota Corolla north on Route 1 at Shen’s Furniture when he struck the rear of a Toyota Paseo and then veered off the roadway striking the power pole.
10. August 13: Tuesday 9:06pm Yigo. Route 1 in Yigo. 40 year old James Paul Aguero, riding a moped, collided with 2004 Toyota Camry that was attempting a left turn onto Jose Galo Street in Yigo near Yigo Payless.
11. August 25: Sunday, 1:58 am Piti. Northbound Marine Corps Drive in Piti. 1 male dead following 2 car collision. 4 others injured. A dark blue Toyota Scion being driven by a 19-year old woman was in the inner northbound lane when a man driving a silver Toyota Corolla, passed her in the northbound outer lane. The Corolla then executed a u-turn causing the Scion to collide with the Corolla. The woman driving the Scion was the only occupant of that vehicle. There were 5 people in the Corolla. All 6 people involved in the accident were “alert and responsive” at the scene. 1 refused treatment and the 5 other were transported to GMH where one of the passengers who was in the Toyota Corolla was pronounced dead at 4:10am.
12. August 28: Wednesday 3:22pm Ordot. An elderly man died at GMH at 9:06am Friday August 30th, 2 days after the bicycle he was riding was hit by a 2013 Toyota 4-Runner on Judge Sablan Street in front of the San Juan Bautista Church.
13. September 29: Sunday 1:30am, Tamuning. Hit and run on Route 14, Chalan San Antonio, near Toys Tavern. Victim is a man in his 50’s. No description of the vehicle avialable.
14. October 7: Monday 12:12pm – Upper Tumon. It happened on Route 1 near the Nissan Auto City in Upper Tumon. The victim was identified as 40 year old Roland Reyes.