Guam – More leadership changes have been announced for the islands public school’s as the Department of Education makes preparations for the upcoming school year.
Superintendent Jon Fernandez announced the Reassignments earlier this week before leaving for a Western Association for Schools and Colleges board meeting off-island.
Last year about 20 principals were reassigned and this year seven will be moved to new schools. Additionally 15 assistant principals were shifted bringing changes to a total of 19 schools.
The changes follow criticism from some members of the Guam Education Board. GEB held a controversial retreat earlier this month to discuss a board policy that would Require the board’s approval before administrative changes are made.
Deputy Superintendent Robert Malay today defended the timing of the reassignments.
“Decisions needed to be made in a timely manner so that we could transition all of our personnel in time to open up the next school year,” Malay told PNC. “So if we postpone too long it doesn’t give them adequate time to close out what they’re doing where they’re at… and then transition at the new site where they’re going to so we wanted to give them as much time as possible.”
According to Malay the Superintendent made the changes in an attempt to match the skill sets of administrators at various schools to help move each school forward.
The following list of reassignments was provided by DOE:
- Yolinda Hernandez-Avilla, veteran secondary school principal, most recently at Inarajan Middle School, Mrs. Hernandez-Avilla will serve as the acting principal of George Washington High School
- Sophia Duenas, acting principal at Untalan Middle School for school year 2013-2014 and longtime assistant principal of George Washington High School. Ms. Duenas will be assigned as the acting principal at the newest high school in GDOE, Tiyan High School.
- Jim Reyes, currently the acting principal of George Washington High School, Mr. Reyes will return to his previous assignment as principal of Untalan Middle School. Mr. Reyes will guide the Wildcats when they return home to their campus in Barrigada.
- Robert Martinez, the only principal that AsTumbo Middle School has had since opening its’ doors in 2008, Mr. Martinez will take the helm at FB Leon Guerrero Middle School
- Kathryn San Nicolas, assistant principal at AsTumbo Middle School will remain at the school and move into the acting principal role.
- Evelyn Mantanona, principal of Talofofo Elementary School, Mrs. Mantanona will assume the duties and responsibilities of acting principal at Inarajan Middle School.
- Denise Taimanglo, assistant principal of Captain Henry B. Price Elementary School in Mangilao will go to serve as the acting principal at Talofofo Elementary School
The assistant principal changes are:
- Gaylene Cruz, from Southern High School to John F. Kennedy High School.
- Jesse San Nicolas, from Untalan Middle School to John F. Kennedy High School
- Jessica Fejeran, from FBLG Middle School to Simon Sanchez High School.
- Kelly Sukola, from John F. Kennedy High School to Simon Sanchez High School.
- Raymond Mantanona, from George Washington High School to Southern High School.
- Freda Arii, from Jose Rios Middle School to Tiyan High School.
- Jonalyn Ceria, from Juan M. Guerrero Elementary School to Tiyan High School.
- Joel Punzalan, from Simon Sanchez High School to Tiyan High School.
- Maria Milan, from Benavente Middle School to AsTumbo Middle School.
- Elizabeth Hanzsek, from John F. Kennedy High School to FBLG Middle School.
- Dennis Malilay, from Simon Sanchez High School to Benavente Middle School.
- Sarah Valencia, from MU Lujan Elementary School to Finegayan Elementary School.
- Natasha Dela Cruz, from Inarajan Middle School to MU Lujan Elementary School.
- Annette Salas, selected as assistant principal for PC Lujan Elementary School.
- John Wesolowski, from Finegayan Elementary School to HB Price Elementary School.