Guam – Island residents are in a state of shock over the violent and senseless stabbing attacks on tourists in Tumon Tuesday night. 2 Japanese women are dead. 11 other people Japanese tourists and 1 one Guamanian were injured.
According to the magistrate’s complaint, the stabbing began shortly after 10pm, outside the Globe night club in Tumon.
Assistant Attorney General Johnathan Quan writes that an individual, later identified as Chad Ryan Desoto, “used a knife and stabbed people.”
Next, according to the complaint, Desoto got into his grey 2007 Toyota Yaris, and sped down the sidewalk along San Vitores road towards the Outrigger Hotel, striking several people along the way, and causing injuries.
Eventually, he rammed his car into the ABC, a convenience store, beneath the Hard Rock Cafe, in the shadow of the Outrigger Hotel.
At that point, witnesses say he leapt out of his vehicle, again armed with a knife, and resumed, randomly stabbing people.
Robin Young arrived outside the ABC store, just after the stabbing occurred and before police arrived. “I saw a pile of bodies,” he said.
Young, who works as a shipwright, but said he had emergency medical training told us: “There was a grandma, she had wounds. I checked her pulse first off. She was dead.”
“I moved onto to the next. I thought it was the mom. She had 2 deep incision marks from a knife. She had a pulse.”
81 year old Kazuko Uehara was dead at the scene. 29 year old Rie Sugiyama, died at the hospital from her stab wounds.
Some bystanders began attacking the suspect says Young, but police arrived and eventually took him into custody.
Guam Fire Spokesman Lt. Ed Artero said a total of 14 people were transported to GMH. Families and friends of the victims gathered outside the emergency room early Wednesday morning, waiting for word, representatives from the Japanese Consultant took down names.
8 of the victims, including the 2 woman who died, had been stabbed. The other 6 were injured when they were struck by the car.
At an early morning news conference, Governor Eddie Calvo was flanked by police Chief Fred Bordallo and Guam Visitors Bureau Board Chairman Mark Baldyga.
“I have never seen anything remotely close to this,” said Baldyga. “Its very tough to see the suffering that the families must be going through.”
“This is an anomaly,” said the Governor and “you have my assurance that we will prosecute this individual to the fullest extent of the law.”
Desoto, in chains, his faced bruised, was led into Judge Alberto Tolentino’s court room Wednesday afternoon.
He ordered Desoto held on $2-million cash bail.
According to the magistrate’s report, he told police he intended on hurting as many people as he could with his car, and his knife, but it does not explain why.
READ the release from the Guam Attorney General below:
OFFICE OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
DeSoto to Appear in Magistrate Court Today
February 13, 2013- Hagatna, Guam- Late last night, the heart of Guam’s busy tourist center of Tumon, became a crime scene that left 12 people injured and 2 dead. Attorney General Leonardo M. Rapadas extends his deepest sympathies to the victims of last night’s tragedy.
“My heartfelt condolences to the victims and their families. No words can express the disbelief, horror and grief the people of Guam and I feel over the events that occurred last night,” said Attorney General Leonardo M. Rapadas.
A 21 year-old male identified as Chad Ryan DeSoto has been arrested by the Guam Police Department as the suspect responsible for causing the injuries and deaths.
DeSoto will go before the magistrate judge today at 2pm in the Superior Court of Guam where he will be formally charged for his alleged crimes. More charges may be forthcoming once the investigation has been completed.
“It is important to remember that anyone accused of crimes, even horrible ones, are innocent until proven guilty. If found guilty, they will be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law” he continued.