Quinata Wanted To Come Forward, Witness Testifies

"The whole time he was on the ground, he just kept saying, 'I just want to turn myself in. I just want to get arrested. I just wanted to get arrested.'"


On the day the former Humåtak mayor’s body was discovered, Rudy Quinata wanted to turn himself into the Guam Police Department (GPD), according to witness Gerard Daimian.

During his time on the stand, Daimian testified that on that night, he was visiting his parents’ home in the village of Barrigada, when a person that he did not recognize was outside and on his parents’ property line.

Loading the player...

“One I identified the person–or I didn’t identify but I realized that’s someone I didn’t know,” said Damian. “I asked, ‘What are you doing here?’ So, he asked to use the phone, so I called my nephew and I said, “Dial the number he wants and put it on speaker phone.’ You know? That way he doesn’t take the phone and run.”

Daimian’s testimony coincided with that of Guam Fire Department (GFD) firefighter Vos Laguaña.


“I remember I asked him–I don’t know exactly how I asked him what his name was and where he was from,” Laguaña said. “I remember he told me his name was ‘James Sanchez’ from Asan.”

According to Laguaña, on the night of April 3rd 2021, around the hours of 7-9, “James Sanchez” asked for a ride.

Laguaña also testified that “Sanchez” left his residence thereafter. The next time Laguaña saw him was on the news for the murder of the late mayor.

Meanwhile, during today’s trial, Daimian testified that Quinata wanted to call police because he wanted to turn himself in. Daimian also testified that while waiting for police, he had tried to get Quinata out of his property to keep his parents safe.

“I told him, ‘Let’s go out to the main road, so we can wait for the police,'” said Daimian. “And at a particular moment, he got just too close to the garage, so I told him, ‘Stop.’ And right when he turned, I took off and I took him down.”

Daimian further testified that once Quinata was on the ground, Quinata continued to say he wanted to turn himself in.

“The whole time he was on the ground, he just kept saying, ‘I just want to turn myself in. I just want to get arrested. I just wanted to get arrested.'”

The trial is set to continue to tomorrow March 24th at the Superior Court of Guam.

Previous articleOAG Hosts Environmental Enforcement Training
Next articleGrass Fires Erupt As Fire Danger Increases
News Director for the Pacific News Center, Don was born and raised on the island of Saipan and moved to Guam in the Spring of 2016 to pursue higher education at the University of Guam. It was at UOG that Don discovered his passion for keeping his peers politically informed. In his free time, you can find him flying his drone or doing landscape and portrait photography. Don joined the PNC News Team to broaden his writing, and to challenge himself to get in front of the camera. Don’s ultimate goal and passion is to have a well informed and politically engaged Marianas.