Yigo is safe, mayor assures

302
Mayor Rudy Matanane told the Pacific News Center that he spoke with the uncle of the shooting victim yesterday who assured him that initial reports of the incident were incorrect and he assured him that the incident was an accident.

Yigo Mayor Rudy Matanane wants to assure residents that traveling the back road to Andersen Air Force Base is safe.

This despite a report of a second shooting incident last Friday evening at a home along Route 15.

50-year-old Tim Concepcion was shot in the leg. He was home alone at his uncle’s house when he suffered a gun-shot wound to his leg. He called the police and was taken to GRMC where he is now recovering in good condition.

Before the start of the Mayors Council meeting Wednesday, Mayor Matanane told the Pacific News Center that he spoke with the uncle of the shooting victim yesterday who assured him that initial reports of the incident were incorrect and he assured him that the incident was an accident.

Loading the player...

“I can tell you that it was an accident. Whoever told me that it was was a reliable source. It’s an accident and that’s why I would elaborate again that Yigo is safe,” Matanane said.

He added: “Everyone who passes through Yigo to get up to Andersen doesn’t have anything to worry about like getting shot at. They probably have a lot of guns in Yigo but those are for the deer and the pig. And there’s nothing to worry about a random shooter up in Yigo.”

On NewsTalk K57 this morning, Guam Police Department Chief Stephen Ignacio said the investigation into the first shooting incident on the back road to Andersen last month is still ongoing. He said GPD has devoted a lot of resources towards solving that case in which Katarina Pitto was shot six times. But no arrests have been made.

However, the Chief also said last Friday’s incident involving the gunshot wound Tim Concepcion suffered was different.

“We’re looking at other circumstances than what was initially reported in the media,” said the Chief.

##